Who doesn’t love a good piece of avocado toast? Creamy, avocado spread on a perfectly toasted piece of bread is one of my favorite quick meals. Avocados are such a beauty food; filled with B vitamins, potassium, fiber, and healthy fats to not only satiate you, but also give you a glowing complexion. The fat content found in avocados has also been linked to helping you absorb more of your nutrients from other foods throughout your day. So you are getting a good bang for your buck with these little fruits.
I prefer to use sourdough whenever I am incorporating bread grains into my diet, as it is much more easily digestible. Because of how the sourdough starter (the natural yeast) is fermented slowly over time, it helps to eat up most of the gluten proteins within the dough. Since the starter is a live ferment, it also packs a large “good gut bacteria” punch, supplying your body with an abundant amount of natural probiotics. So not only are you giving your body an enormous amount of nutrients and healthy gut bacteria, but you are also allowing yourself to enjoy a “comfort food” without the guilt!
- 1 slice sourdough bread
- ½ ripe avocado
- Small handful of chickpeas (canned, drained and rinsed)
- 3 chopped black or pitted kalamata olives
- Small handful of arugula
- Pinch of salt
- A few sprinkles of olive or avocado oil
- Place bread in the toaster until golden and firm.
- Remove pit from avocado and spoon out the flesh into a bowl.
- Mash avocado with a fork until smooth and creamy, adding in salt to taste. (if you prefer your avocado to have a creamier consistency, you can use a food processor or blender)
- Spread avocado mash on top of your toast, adding on your chickpeas and olives. Then place your spinach on top to make an open-face sandwich. Sprinkle oils on top of arugula leaves.
I’ve been experimenting with guacamole recipes all week – its such a healthy comfort food and so nutritious! I’ll share that with you soon!
Yours in Health,